Tips for Reviewing Employees
12/17/2014 7:45:27 AM
For some managers, giving an employee review can be just as nerve-wracking as getting one. However, a review can provide a valuable opportunity to have an honest discussion about the employee’s performance and future at the company. We’ve compiled some tips for reviewing employees that you may find helpful.
- Start on a positive note by talking about areas in which the employee excelled, which can segue into a discussion about areas that need improvement. Expectations should be measureable—perhaps on a point scale—so progress can be determined at the next review.
- Encourage a conversation, rather than just talking at your employee. This can be helpful when determining goals and ideas for improvement. Ensure that that the employee receives any necessary clarification before moving onto the next point.
- You may not want to come off as rude, but glossing over negative points doesn’t help anyone. Find a balance so the employee leaves with clear ideas of necessary improvements, without feeling victimized. It may help to deliver the review to a colleague or friend first and get their feedback.
- Be as specific as possible with what you want to see from your employee. Flowery statements like, “You don’t seem to care,” should be replaced with firm ideas like, “I’d like to hear more of your opinions during meetings.”
- If you’re unsatisfied with an employee’s performance, revisit the employee handbook so you can refer to specific examples of when that individual did not adhere to the rules.
- Ensure that the employee leaves with one or two concrete goals to work toward by the time the next review rolls around.
A comprehensive business insurance policy can help protect you against employees who take legal action against you because of anything said or done that may be considered harassment or discrimination. Call your independent insurance agent to learn more.
We’ve got you covered. Call La Familia Insurance at (888) 751-7511 for more information on Dallas business insurance.
Tags : dallas business insurance, business insurance